How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 12031?
Are you seeking ways and means to oust QuickBooks Error 12031? You are not the only one facing this technical snag. We offer comprehensive walkways to eliminate this Error once and for all through this article.
The QuickBooks Error 12031 commonly arises when you attempt to update the QuickBooks Desktop software. This annoying and recurring technical snag occurs when the network timeouts, thereby causing innumerable technical difficulties in operating the software. This article contains all you need – common causative reasons behind the QuickBooks error code 12031 and effective troubleshooting steps to troubleshoot the same. The only prerequisite demanded by us is that you go through this article very keenly and implement the steps enumerated in each method in the same order as framed in the article.
You may also read : How to Fix Payroll not calculating taxes in QuickBooks?
Common causes leading to QuickBooks Error 12031
Error 12031 may be a result of any of the following reasons.
- The improper firewall might be blocking the functioning of QuickBooks.
- Poor internet connectivity.
- Some antivirus/system security software hinders the seamless QuickBooks functioning.
- Improper SSL settings.
Effective approaches To Fix QuickBooks Error 12031
There are several walkways to stem out Error code 12031 from QuickBooks. These have been explained in a step by step manner below:
Approach 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Proceed to the ‘Help menu’ tab after opening QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select the ‘Update QuickBooks’
- Following that, you must ‘check for an update.’
- If updates are available, install them.
- Restart the software after closing it.
- It then asks you to accept or reject the downloaded update by hitting the Yes button.
- The QuickBooks Desktop has been updated.
Approach 2: Configure the Settings of Internet Explorer
- Shut down QuickBooks.
- After that, launch the ‘Internet Explorer browser.
- Go to the ‘Tools’
- Select the ‘Internet Options’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the ‘Security tab.’
- Choose the ‘Content’ tab and click on ‘Disable’ from the drop-down menu.
- Mention the password and then turn off the content advisor.
- Select the ‘Never dial a connection ‘ option under the ‘connection’
- Now use ‘DUN’ (Dial-Up Node)
- Make that you’ve chosen the correct ISP.
- Press the ‘OK’
- Go to the ‘LAN Settings’ button at the bottom of the window and click it.
- Select the ‘automatically detect settings’
- The ‘Use a proxy server’ checkbox should be unchecked. Once done, use the proxy server.
- You must completely document the address and port.
- Remove the tick mark from the ‘Use a Proxy’ box if the port is not ‘port 80.’
- You’re done. All you need to do is choose ‘OK.’
- In Advanced, click ‘Restore Advanced Settings.’
- Scroll down and look for ‘Use TLS 1.0,’ ‘Use TLS 1.2,’ and ‘Use TLS 1.2.’
- Then select ‘TLS 1.0’ but not ‘TLS 1.2.’
- Click ‘OK,’ and the window will dismiss after the modifications have been saved.
- Finally, restart your computer and close the Internet Explorer browser.
- Try updating QuickBooks now and verifying if the Error Code 12031 got fixed.
Approach 3: Run QuickBooks Updates in Safe Mode
- Press the ‘Win + R’ keys together to open the ‘Run’
- Type ‘Msconfig’ in the ‘Run’
- After that, press the ‘Enter’
- Select the ‘Boot’ tab in the ‘Windows System Configuration’ window that appears on your screen.
- Go to the ‘Boot Options’
- Remove the checkmark next to the ‘Safe Boot’
- To apply all of the changes, click ‘Apply.’
- Then, to close the window, press the ‘OK’
- Restart your computer to apply the changes.
- When your system starts in safe mode, run the QuickBooks update of payroll again and monitor if the Error got uprooted. If not, proceed to the following approach.
Approach 4: Alter your firewall settings
Sometimes your firewall may be preventing QuickBooks from working properly. Under such circumstances, you are required to change the firewall settings as has been mentioned below:
- Go to the ‘Start’
- Type ‘Firewall’ into the ‘search’
- Double-click’ Windows Firewall’ from the results that show up.
- Choose ‘Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.’
- Select ‘Change Settings’ in the next window.
- Then mark the checkbox to allow the program. The same can be done depending on whether the network is private or public.
- Try upgrading QuickBooks to check if the Error has been resolved.
Approach 5: Check the Internet connection setup
- Open QuickBooks software.
- Go to the ‘Help Menu ‘
- Choose ‘Internet Connection Setup.’
- Select ‘Use My Computer’s Internet Connection Settings.’
- To continue, press the ‘Next’
- Choose ‘Done,’ and then proceed with the QuickBooks Update.
- If you get the error 12031 again, try the next method.
Approach 6: Uninstall & Reinstall in Selective Startup
- Open the ‘Run’ window (Press ‘Win + R’ keys together)
- Type ‘Msconfig’ in the ‘Run’ window & hit the ‘Enter’
- ‘System Configuration’ window will appear.
- Then select the ‘General’
- Select ‘Selective Startup’ and uncheck the ‘Load startup items.’
- Choose ‘OK.’
- Restart your computer again.
- You now need to uninstall QuickBooks. Proceed as follows:
- Open the ‘Control Panel.’
- Go to ‘Programs and Features.’
- From the long list of installed programs that appears, look for ‘QuickBooks.’ And click on it.
- Select ‘Uninstall/Change’
- Select ‘uninstall.’
- Click on ‘Finish.’
- Upon successfully uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop, head to the ‘downloads’ folder and look for the QuickBooks installation file (having the ‘.exe’ extension).
- To reinstall QuickBooks software, double-click the file.
- It launches the Install Wizard, where you must use the recommended settings
- Complete the installation by following all of the instructions on the screen.
- Finally, click on ‘Finish.’
- Open QuickBooks and try to update it now. Hopefully, the Error must be resolved. If not, try switching to the Normal Startup mode (following Approach 7).
Approach 7: Switch to Normal Startup Mode
- To open the ‘Run’ window on the Windows Desktop, press and hold the ‘Win + R’
- Type ‘Msconfig’ in the Run window.
- Hit the ‘Enter’
- Opt for the ‘Normal Startup’
- Choose ‘Apply.’
- Select ‘OK.’
- Restart your PC.
You may also read : How to Reactivate your QuickBooks Payroll Subscription?
We are pretty confident that by following the approaches entailed in this article, you successfully got rid of the ‘QuickBooks Error 12031’ predicament. If you face any trouble while performing any of the steps, reach out to our customer support team. We offer unparalleled support for all QuickBooks -related issues.